Thursday, April 19, 2012

Versailles visit - Avoid the crowd

We visited Versailles on a Monday when it is closed. The gardens are open and since there are few people roaming the place you can enjoy the scenery, take pictures, rent a boat, hug a Greek and



even have a peaceful picnic like you own the place.



We returned to visit the palace on Wednesday around 9 am. It took us 5 minutes to purchase the tickets and 2 1/2 hours to see all there was to see. We were back to Paris before 2 PM.





By the way if you get there late you can purchase tickets from the tourists office in the city of Versailles instead of the palace. There were very few people buying tickets at the tourist office compared with the long long lines at the palace.





Sorry to say the palace itself was not worth the time and effort.




|||



Sorry to say the palace itself was not worth the time and effort.





Many times I tell tourists on a short trip: if you want to see a palace, go to to the Louvre!





There are also restaurants close to Versailles who sell entrance tickets if you lunch there.




|||



Completely agree with you. I also didn%26#39;t think it was worth the time and effort. I think that since I had visited the Louvre earlier in the week, it took away from the wow factor at Versaille.




|||



Another vote to leave the palace off the list...spend the extra time at the lourve....





never thought of the monday for just the gardens...genius...





T




|||



OO, I like the sound of the gardens on a Monday. I do, do want to visit the palace but I%26#39;m going to be in Paris for such a short time this trip that I like the idea of doing the grounds this time.





Do you need tickets just for the grounds? And if so, can you pre-purchase them to avoid lines?





Thanks.




|||



Hang on, %26#39;hug a Greek%26#39;? ?????




|||



%26#39;Do you need tickets just for the grounds? And if so, can you pre-purchase them to avoid lines?%26#39;





The grounds are free. No need for a ticket.




|||



%26#39;Hang on, %26#39;hug a Greek%26#39;? ?????%26#39;





Take your picture near a Greek Statue and no crowd in the background.




|||



Thanks for the replies.





Sorry not to be acquiring a huggable Greek man though... ;)




|||



The palace for me wasn%26#39;t worth it as well...and I say this as a huge Marie Antoinette fan! I think it%26#39;s safe to say that I won%26#39;t be returning there.





But the gardens...absolutely beautiful! I could spend countless hours wandering through them if only my aching feet would be able to keep up with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment