Thursday, March 29, 2012

Auto train and getting around Avignon

I am booked onto the auto train from Avignon to Paris, and have two questions:-





Are the cars loaded on while I am there, I am reaching a paronia that as my car had a stupid way to start with a strange key and the cluth has to be depressed and a funny eletronic hand break, the person at the station cannot start it and it stays in Avignon. Please humour me





Second





I understand the station is a few miles from the centre and buses are infrequent or is my french really poor. Will getting a taxi be easy there?





I know there are then regular buses to TGV so I will then be sorted




|||



2. Avignon has two train stations: the old station near the center of town and the TGV station about 10 minutes by bus, south of the city center. There are frequent shuttles from the TGV to the center of the city. You can take a taxi to deliver you to your hotel but be careful in the afternoons about 17h00 as the traffic on the TGV road backs up and a taxi could become unnecessarily expensive. You will not arrive any faster in a bus at this time, it%26#39;s just likely to cost a great deal less.




|||



Sorry that last post is wrong. You will drop the car off at Avignon Sud (which is a third station in Avignon which deals with the auto-train only). I have never left my car there for what you are doing which is where the cars are transported separately from the passengers. However when I had to explain how to disable my alarm on leaving the car to somebody in Calais it did work - phew.



Yes the station is a ride from the centre. They used to publish a timetable so try to find that or else under duress somebody will call a taxi for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment