Thursday, March 29, 2012

Shopping must-have's in France...what do you think?

I%26#39;ll be traveling to Paris/Provence/Sarlat and Bordeaux.





I%26#39;m thinking about special treasures I%26#39;d like to buy while in France - something to help furnish the house I can enjoy for many years. What do you think are some of the %26quot;real finds%26quot; to take home?





And do you think shipping is worth the expense? For instance if I found a painting/rug/mirror/special skincare? jewelry box/picture frame and other bulky items...what is the best way to ship - or is it worth the expense?





I already foresee purchasing table linens while in Provence...look forward to your comments!





JD




|||



Shipping isn%26#39;t always very expensive if sent by boat. I had full trunks sent to me from Europe..and also books (always a heavy item). Most times the seller has arranged the shipping but a couple of times I had to box them myself and go to the Post Office. You could also use Fed Ex I think (first inquire in the USA).





Antiques stores in Paris (I love the Louvre des Antiqaires, across rue de Rivoli from the Louvre. They have amazing stuff) and Bordeaux (check the rue Notre Dame area in the Chartrons district) have lots of experience with shipping goods to other countries.





I had rather spend money on shipping items for the house that I will enjoy for many years than on a very expensive meal but to each...




|||



Hi -





One of the most popular things I have brought home from Provence besides yellow and blue table linens, is olive dishes. The ones that get the best response are the ones with a place for the olives (the largest compartment), one for the pits (much smaller), and one for toothpicks (really small). They are relatively inexpensive, and if you request it, the sales person will wrap your purchase in bubble wrap so it will be safe for the trip home. I always end up moving lots of laundry into my carry on to make room in my checked bag for my swag.




|||



I love spending a little time buying clothes in France. I get so many compliments on the things i bought last year. They have things there that you just can%26#39;t get in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment