Thursday, March 29, 2012

How do you search for your air fares?

I have started signing up for alerts--never done this before. How do most folks find there air fare to Paris.






|||



I use Skyscanner.




|||



Mostly I use Orbitz and Kayak over a period to get an idea of normal fares, so I can recognize when a better fare is out. If I want to get that flight, I find it on the airline%26#39;s site (I don%26#39;t like booking with 3rd parties much)...





However, I will say that I find a good (shall we say %26#39;fair%26#39;?)fare at 1880flyeurope.com for our fall trip, which put me on Delta and I have the itinerary on the Delta site to do seat choices and print boarding pass, etc.




|||



I go to the Air France website. Many times they are not more expensive than others. When flexible, you can find really good deals. Out of Boston, we do not have a large choice of carriers. AA yes, but I am not flying them internationally.




|||



www.igougo.com and also directly on the different airline websites. Happy Travels!




|||



I scan the individual airlines%26#39; websites and also use a search engine like www.kayak.com to compare them. I check for the fares offered by the airlines directly not from third party sites like Orbitz and Expedia.




|||



I do it daily over time to get a feel for the range





and use kayak -- once I identify good fares I go to the airline site itself





we have found that fares change dramatically and that often they are lowest in the middle of the night for some reason -- once I have a sense of the range, I just go for it when a good fare comes up




|||



I go to the Air France website. Many times they are not more expensive than others. When flexible, you can find really good deals. Out of Boston, we do not have a large choice of carriers. AA yes, but I am not flying them internationally.





unquote





I am curious why. We have had MUCH worse experiences with Air France than AA -- haven%26#39;t done AA lately but for years we found they had more comfortable space in coach and definitely better food than most carriers. We have flown AF several times and always had bad experiences (my favorite AF meal was the rock solid frozen poached egg on the wilted greens)




|||



I like Kayak - it gives inclusive R/T prices (with all fees, taxes, etc.), not %26quot;teaser: fares that in reality are going to be several hundred more, or really are one-way.





Also, when you click on the one you want to see, it sends you to the airline%26#39;s website, so if you buy a ticket you are in fact dealing direct with the airlines, and you are getting an accurate comparison from one airline to another. Plus, you can set it to send you alerts on desired destinations, so you don%26#39;t have to necessarily check back constantly.




|||



graceh9 - I agree on both points. AA has been my carrier of choice for quite awhile. I did fly AF a few times back when I was with Delta and had some pretty disappointing experiences (including one return from Paris where I sat for the whole 9 or 10 hours on a seat that was like a board with a thin plastic covering). And for being French, the food was very substandard (even allowing for the fact that it was on a plane), both in coach one trip and in business another trip.




|||



Thanks for the replies





When using a filter/dates, how far out do you look? Weeks? Months?

No comments:

Post a Comment