Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lescun to Saint-Jean: transport

Hi: I will be walking from Cauterets to the village of Lescun in September. I then need to be in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, but don%26#39;t have time to walk there. Can anyone tell me about transport options from Lescun to Saint Jean... Is there a bus? Will I be able to hitch a ride? Thanks in advance for your reply!




|||



There is virtually no public bus service in this remote area. The %26#39;department%26#39; website gives no transport information I can find.





The two places are about 65 miles apart along very rural roads, so I would not put money on your chances of hitching a ride. Does anyone even do that any longer?




|||



Sorry, I should have remembered this.





Although the railway line through the pass to Canfranc was closed many years ago, SNCF the French railway still runs a few buses along the parallel road. They won%26#39;t get you to St Jean PdeP but might at least get you out of Lescun.





ter-sncf.com/Images/…A9_tcm17-21387.pdf





is the summer timetable ie until end August





ter-sncf.com/Images/…20Hiver_tcm17-63019.pdf





is the timetable from 1st September.





These buses run along the main road and don%26#39;t actually go into Lescun itself. You would need to check out the actual stopping places locally, although one is the old station of Lescun-Cette-Eygun.




|||



Thanks very much for your reply. I wonder whether it would be possible to hire a local to drive me...




|||



Sounds like a horror movie script to me!





Man goes into local bar in remote mountain village, asks for a ride in his best French, local wearing ill-fitting clothes obliges, then they turn off the road down a track into a farm in the middle of the night and out comes Lurch from the doorway...





Seriously, I have no idea! Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment