Saturday, April 21, 2012

Moulin Rouge Dinner/Dancing question - No show comments pls

We are seriously considering doing the dinner and dancing option at the Moulin Rouge, despite some bad reviews, on our 1st trip to Paris in Sep. Our reasons:





1. We are ballroom dancers who would love a chance to actually dance in Paris.



2. Life list item. I%26#39;ve heard about the Moulin Rouge and French Caberets all my life.



3. I LIKE cheesy, touristy stuff - hey, I might even bring my feather boa with me!





My Questions:



1. How much dancing time do you actually have? 30-45 min? More? Less?



2. What is the floor like (Wood, carpet, marble? If wood is it smooth or rough?)



3. What type of music is currently played? Still 50%26#39;s/60%26#39;s?



4. Are jacket and tie required?



5. Whay type of food is served and how does it compare to other tourist sites?





I%26#39;ve read several reviews and haven%26#39;t seen recent answers to these questions.







Please, no comments on the show quality or the price. I%26#39;ve already done my research and these are not issues for us.




|||



food: will be banquet food. Eat before or after show somewhere else.



Jacket: not required.




|||



FYI, when reploying about the food, pls compare to tourist sites like Altitude 95 in the Eiffel Tower, etc.





I know there is better food out there in Paris than M/R- but not really interested in that for this particular night. The dancing and the show are the main focus, not food.




|||



So did you want to dance at the Moulin Rouge? I didn%26#39;t know that was actually possible. I thought you just had dinner and watched the show. That%26#39;s how it was when we were there last year. Is this some other planned event that they have?




|||



Sorry - to clarify, we went to the late show without dinner, so it may be that for people who had the dinner and show that there was dancing - I had just never heard of it before.




|||



This is the early show. It%26#39;s billed as Dinner Dance and Show. One review from 2007 said they played 50%26#39;s and some 60%26#39;s music for dancing. I%26#39;m really curious as to where the dancing is, having looked at the video on the Moulin Rouge website.




|||



We went to dinner show for our 30th anniversay. We were there well before show started, and a live band and singer were playing. OnlyOne couple got up to dance - rumba if I remember correctly. I had the feeling that they were %26#39;staff%26#39; to encourage others to dance but no one did. In fairness the band were good, the show was good but the food was the most awful mass produced meal I have ever had. It was not worth the money.





Re dress code, some people made an effort and dressed very smartly. Others seemed to have just decided to come in from the stree, and were quite casual.





My advice - go for the show and if you want to have a longer experience there book the meal as well, but dont expect to enjoy it - just enjoy the band as you are eating.





It is a once in a life time experience, has to be done the only let down is the food...and if you do wnat to dance you will have about an hour or so and maybe even have the dance floor to yourselves.




|||



Sorry I missed a few of your questions.



didnt see the floor close up but it did appear to be traditional wood, the rest of the set up is cabaret style, with carpet around tables on differing levels. If just two of you are going, then the chances are that you will share a table with another couple. Music was swing/big band/jazz.



We booked online in advance before we went



As an after thought, there were a number of dinner cruises along the Seine, and looking at the boats, I am sure I spotted a small dance floor so maybe you could check this idea out.




|||



Thanks! Acutually, we%26#39;d be quite happy having the dance floor to ourselves - since we won%26#39;t have to worry about dancing around other couples. We usually sit down if it gets too crowded.





Understand that the food may not be great, but you drink enough and it doesn%26#39;t matter ;)




|||



--I would equate the food quality to Altitude 95 vs. Jules Verne (Alt. 95 has been renamed, but I%26#39;m going with your reference).





--I don%26#39;t recall what the dance floor was made out of, but the evening I was there, plenty of folks danced and in different attire. There was one striking French couple in their 60s who were dressed in a suit and long dress and danced/glided beautifully and I had to comment to them later at the coatcheck that I enjoyed watching them. They knew their dancing. The music was caberet and danceable. The music started at about dessert time and I%26#39;d say lasted about 45 mins. No longer than an hour.





--For me, it was an evening of entertainment: dinner, dancing and a show. I%26#39;d have loved to have seen someone wearing a boa! Other than in the show, of course. :-) I do not recall dancing at the Lido.




|||



I didn%26#39;t even know that there was dancing at the Moulin Rouge.





If anybody asked me a question about ballroom dancing in Paris, I would just say:





Mimi Pinson, 79 Champs Elysées



La Coupole, boulevard du Montparnasse



Plaza Madeleine, boulevard de la Madeleine





But not every night is devoted to ballroom dancing, so you would have to check to find out which night suit you.





This summer of course, the main venue if you like things like tango dancing, is the outdoor Quai Saint Bernard, where you can dance for free every night if it is not raining. I have a photo essay about it here: http://tinyurl.com/ne4huz

No comments:

Post a Comment