Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Swimming / dipping in lakes and streams

Any recommendations on getting wet in natural bodies of water around Chamonix? I heard about a few lakes, and would love tips on which are less crowded, cleaner, etc.



But I%26#39;m particularly interested in plunging into streams/rivers in the area. (I don%26#39;t say swimming in because I know it will be far to cold to stay in for long.) We may do a canyoning trip, but I%26#39;m also looking for something we can get to ourselves (perhaps as part of a nice hike) and jump into an icy mountain pool.




|||



The best place to do this is Lac Emosson, but unfortunately it was drained for repairs the last time I saw it and I think these are set to continue through 2009



www.flickr.com/photos/izakigur/2199692212/



www.chatelard.net/english/pages/descr_e.html





Lac Passy is a nice spot to swim too



http://www.loisir-detente.com/





and Lac des Ilettes at Sallanches



flickr.com/photos/…





The higher lakes are a bit cold to dip in: here%26#39;s Lac Blanc in July!



…webshots.com/photo/2636603250061999827EYLOBI





but maybe you can swim in some of the slightly lower ones like Lac Cornu? I%26#39;m not certain if this is advisable/permitted though - it would be interesting to know.





You need to beware of jumping in streams round here as many of them are very strong and prone to flash flooding in any weather. Often, water can build up behind the ice of the glacier, and when enough water has melted, it breaks through the ice, causing a massive surge - this is why there are signs all over the place telling you not to go in the Arve, which also has a hydroelectric barrage to complicate matters. So if there are signs, don%26#39;t ignore them!





There%26#39;s a nice spot to dip your feet in at the Paradis des Praz in les bois - more of a paddling spot for kids but I%26#39;ve often refreshed my toes here.





Hope this helps!




|||



Thanks again for the info. The desire to jump in mountain streams is a legacy of a childhood in Oregon -- but we certainly didn%26#39;t have the glacier-induced flash flood problem. Thanks for the warning!




|||



I went paddling in a stream above Vallorcine once !!!!!





Never again I thought my legs had dropped off.





Best place for swimming is either the pool at Chamonix or even better in my view the Lac de Passy at Sallanches.





The streams etc in the valley you will need a wet suit.





The water temperature in the open water courses is normally 3 degrees C. I do not find it pleasant.




|||



It%26#39;s nice to do! They do tend to be VERY cold here though. Ooh I thought of a couple more. You can paddle in Lac Bleu - 15 mins walk from the Aigulle du Midi midstation - nice if you%26#39;ve just walked the Grand Balcon Nord. And if you walk up to the Albert Premier hut from le Tour (a lovely walk) you%26#39;ll cross a very clear stream. Follow it back up into a high meadow (there%26#39;s a bit of a track, it%26#39;s easy) and sometimes a little lake has formed.




|||



One more lovely one which isn%26#39;t quite as high as Lac Blanc is Lac Cheserys. I do know of people who%26#39;ve swum in here - %26quot;Only The Brave%26quot; though!



www.flickr.com/photos/brunof74/3680384257/

No comments:

Post a Comment