Thursday, April 12, 2012

Paris to Utah Beach

I am in the beginning stages of planning a side trip for 4 adults from Paris to Utah Beach. We will be visiting in mid-November.





I would like to hear recommendations for traveling there from Paris: by car (my brother-in-law doesn%26#39;t mind driving), by train, or by tour van? How long is the car/train ride?





Also, am I correct in assuming we will need to stay overnight (as I am sure sunset is early in Nov)? If so, where?





Should we take in sights along the way (Chartres?) and arrive in the evening, planning to tour the next morning?





Do we hire a private guide to meet us there? Any recommended people/companies?





Please help get me started--I appreciate all advice. Thanks!






|||



A car is the most practical method. If you actually want to get to Utah beach it%26#39;s the only method.



If you want to visit the American sector of the landing zone, Bayeux is the best place to aim for as a base.



For your tour you have the choice of minivan tours, private guide or d-day audio guide. For four adults a private guide costs less than four minivan tours and you%26#39;d have a tailor made tour.



If you want to visit Chartres on the way, why not. But it%26#39;s not on the direct route to Normandy and will make your journey a lot longer. Up the A13 to Bayeux the journey is about 3 1/2 hours.



I can send you a list of good guides.




|||



Thank you so much! I would LOVE to have a list of guides! I also just found out that the Omaha Beach Museum is closed after Nov 15, and I am trying to find out if the same is true for the Utah Beach Museum, although their website indicates that they are open until December. My father-in-law landed at Utah Beach in WWII, and that%26#39;s why it%26#39;s our destination.





Can you tell me specifically how we would do this trip? Leave paris in the morning, and do the tour in the early to late afternoon? Then spend the night (in Bayeux)? I assume it may be too dark to drive back to Paris at night, considering the light in November? Or would the drive back be OK?





Thanks so much for any and all suggestions!




|||



The museum at Utah is open tll the end of November.



At the American cemetery there%26#39;s a visitors center which will be open.



Why not drive up to Bayeux the afternonn, stay at Bayeux , do the visit then drive back after wards. That%26#39;ll give you most daylight to use.



I%26#39;ll send you a list of guides in a PM.




|||



Thanks SO MUCH. Any suggestions for accommodations?




|||



We traveled by train from Paris to Carentan - it was about a 2 hour trip I think. We were picked up at the train station by a guide we had arranged for - Major General Graham Hollands. He took us to many sites including St. Mère Eglise, Utah and Omaha Beaches, Pointe du Hoc, and the American cemetery. He returned us to the Bayeaux train station and we arrived back in Paris by about 7 p.m. It was a full day, but we really felt that we got a great overview and General Hollands has an incredible wealth of knowledge. Thsi is his website if you%26#39;re interested - www.dday-tours.com




|||



Sounds great! That may work out perfectly, as we have pre-paid our accommodations in paris for the week. I%26#39;ll have to check out the train schedules and the website you suggested. Thanks so much!




|||



On my visits to Normandy I have often stayed in Carentan as opposed to Bayeux. Though the latter has more charm and during the time of year you are visiting, the crowds certainly will not be an issue. (One trip to Normandy I did was in mid-November also, and while true that some museums and other places were closed, it was a great time of year to visit otherwise). Anyhow, Carentan is right between Omaha and Utah and if your focus is Utah it might be better suited; Ste Mere Eglise is nicely located as well and a charming place. But the N-13 will allow quick access from Bayeux as well.





I have always driven from Paris to Normandy up the A-13, 3+ hours to Caen. Others on this forum have suggested taking a train from Paris-Caen and hiring a car at the latter place. This frankly sounds like good advice, you arrive in Normandy rested without the long drive and can start touring immediately. Look back through this forum for ideas in that regard.





I have not used a tour guide on my visits as I study military history extensively, but from my experience on other battlefields, if this is your first time and you do not have a lot of background, a guide could be invaluable. Though I have not used him, I have heard very positive things about Ellwood von Seibold (D-Day Battle Tours). I believe he focuses on the American beaches and he%26#39;s out of Ste Mere Eglise. Might want to contact him.





Have a great trip. Wish I was coming with you!!




|||



Thanks so much for the detailed advice. The RailEurope website is showing the ride from Paris to Bayeux is 2:05. That would be pretty convenient.




|||



A great collection of photos from D Day and later.







…denverpost.com/captured/…




|||



No problem, you%26#39;re welcome. I know you can rent a car in Caen, but can you rent one in Bayeux? Before you decide where to take the train to, look into that.





By the way, you ask about whether you should plan to stay overnight ... yes. In truth if you can spend a couple days in Normandy you won%26#39;t regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment